Old February 16th 09, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster travel cap (z2-6 ) if travel is within 2-6 but fare is via

On Feb 16, 5:17*pm, Mizter T wrote:
MIG wrote:
On 16 Feb, 15:16, Mizter T wrote:
MIG wrote:

[big snip]

The thing about this is that the Shepherds Bushes seem to be treated
not as an outerchange but as a more-like-Stratford situation where
it's all one station. *The poster seems to have been charged for
travelling via the Central Line despite entering a building from which
it isn't possible to access the Central Line.

I absolutely understand what you're saying - however I wonder if this
is currently an inevitable by-product of OSIs/ outerchanges. I don't
know, that's just speculation, but it would provide an explanation.

If the Shepherds Bushes were set up as separate stations with an
outerchange, you'd think he'd be charged the non-zone 1 fare.

I'm just wondering whether that's possible - see above. Perhaps it is
and this situation is simply the result of sloppy programming. I don't
know enough about the machinations behind it to say, unfortunately.

Just done an interesting experiment on these lines with the TfL Fare
Finder.

Hackney Central/Hackney downs is an outerchange.

The Fare Finder price from Hackney Central to Lewisham is not priced
via zone 1.

The Fare Finder price from Hackney Downs to Lewisham is priced via
zone 1.

This suggests that despite being a valid outerchange for continuing
journeys (eg Cambridge Heath to Homerton*), the two outerchange
stations are treated differently with respect to journeys that start
there, presumably because if you enter Hackney Downs you can only
reach Lewisham via zone 1.

Good work MIG -

This behaviour was completely out of character m'lud ...