Old February 17th 09, 06:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] andrewcunard@googlemail.com is offline

Default East London Line phase 2b to Clapham Jn is GO!

On Feb 16, 11:13*pm, EE507 wrote:
On Feb 16, 9:49*pm, wrote:

On Feb 16, 8:47*pm, sweek wrote:

If Clapham Junction to Canary Wharf really is going to be faster than
the via Waterloo route, I think it'll do the line more bad than good
because it will be absolutely packed from opening.

Sweek,

makes
more sense to just take the ELLX to Shoreditch - while sitting down
and in an air-conditioned car all the way.

Sitting? Have you seen the interior layout?

http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/issue...148.pdf#page=5

Man, that's a stinker. Obviously, what is going to happen, is, just
after the last train leaves, people are going to begin gathering at
EXACTLY the right places on the Clapham Junction platform where they
KNOW the door opens, in order to be one of the first ones in to grab a
seat, thus, in order to get a seat the whole way from Clapham to
Shoreditch/Canada Water, one will have to spend 15 minutes standing
anyway (either in the heat, or the freezing cold) - and to get the
seat, one would have to add almost 15 minutes to one's journey (to
make sure you get there in time for when the prior train leaves. What
a stinker! My guess is, the planners knew from the get-go that 4tph
just wouldn't cut it - that that's basically a token service, and that
it is going to be jam-packed from Day One, starting at the first
station (Clapham Junction), so they took out as many seats as possible
in order to pack as many people in like sardines. Looks like I'm
going to stick with bicycling to Canary Wharf - at lesat that way I
get a seat to sit on the whole way.