Old February 17th 09, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
PhilD PhilD is offline

Default Is there a day return train ticket to Brighton...

On Feb 17, 12:08*pm, Michael wrote:
...which lets me depart from Victoria but allows me to return to Clapham
Junction.

Personally I would have thought that a normal return ticket from
Victoria should be enough as, I thought, breaks of journey are allowed. *
But I tried this before, the Clapham Junction barriers rejected me, and
the person at the gate let me through but told me it was not allowed and
not to do it again.

As I will be doing this journey again shortly, just using a cheap day
return or whatever they are called these days, is there an official or
hassle free way of doing this?

Thanks.

The barriers will reject your ticket, as they aren't clever enough to
know all permitted routes, only the end points on your ticket.

The rules changed recently: I believe break of journey is allowed on
any ticket now (I may be wrong, but I think that is the case), in
which case there is no issue. Alternatively, just ask to pop out to
the shop/cash point/ticket office/whatever, and "forget" to go back...

PhilD