Old February 19th 09, 04:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Joe[_2_] Joe[_2_] is offline

Default Rail workers in strike threat

Mizter T wrote:
It seems the question of whether or not there'll be guards on the new
trains is one issue - this is a quote from the piece:
"The union also claims that rail bosses have failed to confirm verbal
assurances that new trains will be staffed by guards."

I think the new trains are DOO equipped so I was always under the
impression that guards were on their way out (perhaps they're simply
not very keen at being made redundant in 'today's economic climate'
which would be understandable).

In my opinion I think it's a shame that the whole issue over guards is
still a problem. With modern technology (and I know that there are
certain criterion to get DOO), I don't see the point in having the
"conventional" guard who just sits in the back cab and opens/closes the
doors, for a start, it adds to station dwell times. If they still must
be on board would it perhaps make more sense for them to "get out there"
with the passengers and deal with tickets or even just walk through the
train. If an incident occurs then perhaps they could perform the duties
(whatever it is) that a guard does.