Old February 22nd 09, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
zen83237 zen83237 is offline

Default Can't the tube just go one day ...

"Richard J." wrote in message

"Andrew Heenan" wrote in message
"Edward Cowling London UK" wrote ...
Why keep an already over full train stood at the platform ? People get
stressed, LU staff get stressed, and you could tell the driver was
getting stressed.
Pointless jobsworth regulation doesn't help the public and it doesn't do
much good for LU staff.

regulation really isn't pointless - though it is not always successful
and could probably be managed much better.

While your train may be packed - and on time - the train behind may be
even more packed, meaning longer loading/unloading and so falling more
behind, thus meeting more and more full platforms and falling even more
behind ... etc.

But it would probably be better to spot the problem before five minutes
'regulation' was needed; a quiet word to the driver to dawdle by 15
seconds at each station would be smoother and much less in-yer-face and
frustrating.

An even better solution would be to run more trains - but the Picc has
another ten years before that happens - not just the extra trains, but
the signalling to go with it.

The Picc used to run 27 tph in the peaks, and I've never seen a credible
explanation of why they decided it was too difficult. Now that 24 tph
doesn't cope with passenger demand, they decided to slow down the
timetable to cover the increased dwell times, rather than run more trains.
Makes their life easier, but doesn't do a lot to provide a service that
matches demand.
--
Richard J.

It seems a disgrace that of the Tubelines lines to get a new signalling
system first in the less than 10 year old Jubilee Line, that quite frankly
should have been built right in the first place. Well at least the extention
at least.
The Jubilee got completely new trains 20 odd years ago as well. Why does the
Jubilee get preferential treatment. Poor old Bakerloo line gets stuffed.
I accept with the Piccadilly line the new signally is not much use without
the new trains.

Kevin