Old March 2nd 09, 03:55 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Miles Bader Miles Bader is offline

Default "Hole in the Ground, a hole in the head?"

writes:
Any civil engineering project will disrupt. That is the nature of
things.

There's a lot of rail infrastructure construction going on around here
(Tokyo), and one thing I've noticed is that because of the critical
nature of rail service, they're extremely good at doing major rail
construction without any major service disruptions.

[Sometimes this entails contortions: Elevating one suburban rail line
involved building the new line on top of the old one (with service
continuing as normal of course). Where the old and new lines met, upon
entering a station, the new line split into two elegant curves which
snaked down to meet the old line from the outside (so the final
switchover was a matter of just moving the actual track one night). Now
that the old line has been removed, people must wonder at those odd and
apparently pointless curves... they do look cool though :-]

-Miles

--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.