Old March 6th 09, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
solar penguin solar penguin is offline

Default How realistic is 'September 09' as a date for NR PAYG?

Rupert Candy wrote:

This date is still being bandied around, even by Southeastern ticket
staff. Yet as far as I can see only Southern stand any chance of being
ready in time (neoprene-cloaked Oyster readers at all stations now).
Southeastern have so far done nothing towards installing equipment,
and I've yet to hear of anything binding being signed between the
Southern TOCs and TfL. Have I missed something, or is there no chance
of Southeastern and SWT being ready for PAYG before the end of the
year?

Whenever it starts, it'll be weird to have PAYG finally becoming at
least vaguely useful, rather than just an awkward and inconvenient
replacement for Savers bus tickets like it is at present. But somehow I
can't imagine it ever happening. I mean, what are the cahnces of pepole
running and working in public transport ever doing something vaguely
useful for their customers...?