Old March 6th 09, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default How realistic is 'September 09' as a date for NR PAYG?

solar penguin wrote:

Whenever it starts, it'll be weird to have PAYG finally becoming at
least vaguely useful, rather than just an awkward and inconvenient
replacement for Savers bus tickets like it is at present. But somehow I
can't imagine it ever happening. I mean, what are the cahnces of pepole
running and working in public transport ever doing something vaguely
useful for their customers...?

Meanwhile, in the real world, PAYG is extremely useful and has made
travelling by tube and bus much more pleasant*. Face it, if people
*didn't* find it useful and convenient we wouldn't be clamouring for it
to be extended to National Rail, would we?

It's not particularly hard to pretend that people running public
transport do nothing useful when you ignore the useful things they do.

Tom

* Example: I'm travelling from Ealing Broadway to Hammersmith. I get a
phone call from some friends in a pub in Piccadilly Circus and decide to
alter my plans and go for a swift half. If, back in the day, I'd bought
an Ealing to Hammersmith ticket, I'm screwed, I have to get off at
Hammersmith and buy a new one. Now I'm using PAYG, I just change onto
the Piccadilly and go on my merry way. That's a change that's made my
life just that little bit less regulated by someone else.