Old March 9th 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How realistic is 'September 09' as a date for NR PAYG?

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 07:36:59AM -0600, wrote:
In article ,
(solar penguin) wrote:
Exactly. It's a point I've made many times before. At present,
PAYG is _only_ really useful for those people who just happen to
live near a Tube/Overground/DLR/etc. station. (Does anyone know if
they're the majority of Londeners? I don't think so, but it would
be interesting to see some statistics.) But for the rest of us,
PAYG is currently just an inconvenient form of cheap bus ticket.

I am pretty sure you are in a minority, mostly from Sarf Lunnon, I'm
afraid.

While it might be a minority, it's a *very big* minority. Bexley,
Bromley, Croydon and Sutton have well over 1,000,000 people in them,
and no tube stations at all. Most of the rest of south London is a
long way from a TFL station too.

In fact, you'll probably find that most people in the outer boroughs
(not just those of us who live south of the river) have no convenient
TFL station.

We should be grateful that it's being fixed at last, I suppose.

It won't be fixed until the full Oyster service is available at
stations - not just being able to use tickets, but being able to buy
them and being able to sort out problems with them.