Old March 10th 09, 03:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default Thameslink - Metropolitan Junction

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
Peter Masson wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote

Was a grade separated Metropolitan Junction a fall back proposal if
four tracking through Borough Market proved impossible?

IMHO the whole Thameslink Project collapses if 4-tracking from London
Bridge to Metropolitan Junction proves impossible. Charing Cross
needs best part of 30 tph in the peak, and Thameslink is based on
16-18 tph via London Bridge in the peak, and you can't run 46-48 tph
on one track.

Yes, I think that much is implied, without the Boriugh four tracking there
would have had to be a total revision of the plans with most Thameslink
trains heading for E&C as in the current peaks. However, having followed
Thameslink developments for a few years now, I don't recall a flyover at
Metropolitan Junction being mentioned much if ever?

Indeed. The Bermondsey diveunder not only takes the Charing Cross lines and
the Croydon Down Slow under Thameslink, but also manages some grade
separation for the link between Thameslink and the Southeastern lines. I
can't see the point of a flyover at Metropolitan Junction, and I can't see
it having any chance of approval in view of the historic buildings in the
area. Achieving the new Southeastern viaduct has been difficult enough, and
it seems that the improved transport infrastructure is only just sufficient
to outweigh the environmental detriment in the area.

Peter