Old March 12th 09, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Uncle Toby Uncle Toby is offline

Default Bidirectional signalling and the DLR

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 02:50:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Mar 12, 12:24*am, Uncle Toby wrote:
Which is just my way of saying that the traditional UK meanness to
invest in 'frills' like decent bi-directional signalling is
short-sighted. I suspect that the economic cost of failures does not
enter the heads of the money men who fund our railways, as they
probably have been led, or prefer, *to believe that if things are
maintained 'properly' such things happen so infrequently that they can
be ignored.

I thought that most of the recent major mainline resignalling projects
were bi-di?

This should really be discussed in uk.railway. I think there's a very
cheap-and cheerful limited accomodation for reduced-speed wrong way
moves in modern signalling schemes. The only recent project near me
that I'm aware of is the West Anglia Route Modernisation, which seems
to have some position-light signals for the wrong way but no proper
aspects.

No doubt useful but only in very limited circumstances.