Old March 14th 09, 10:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] andypurk@gmail.com is offline

Default Where to buy paper travelcard

On Mar 13, 11:32*pm, "Richard J." wrote:
wrote:
The point we are arguing about is whether a Travelcard on Oyster
counts, if you have a paper counterpart as well (different from PAYG
which definitely isn't valid). Certainly, I've never had any problem
using 2 for 1 with my LU issued Oyster Gold Card, which comes with a
paper part. It doesn't say that Travelcards on Oyster are not valid,
they are just not included in the list.

Well, I think what it says is pretty clear:
"Can I use an Oyster card? No, except as shown below."

And "below" is (a) Freedom Pass (which is not branded as Oyster anyway)
and (b) "2FOR1 Oyster card offers", which have now ceased. *I'm pleased
for you that you've managed to persuade the attractions to accept your
Oyster card and the receipt thingy as a valid rail ticket, but in view
of what the FAQ says I wouldn't be confident enough to recommend to
anyone else that they try it.

Did you actually bother to read the section of the FAQ that I quoted
as well. This clearly states that an underground ticket is valid if it
includes National Rail validity. An LU issued Annual Gold Card is such
as ticket and as it comes with a paper
counterpart, with the prerequiste Double Arrow logo, meets the
requirements.

and from the first FAQ

"By way of recognition most travel tickets show the Double-Arrow (or
'crows-foot') National Rail logo, then you're safe to assume it is
valid. If you are unsure in any way please ask at your local staffed
National Rail station."

The actual terms and conditions (section 4) don't mention Oyster at
all. http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/terms-and-conditions.aspx. I
think that the Oyster restriction only came in last year and before
then, Oyster wasn't even mentioned. It will be interesting to see what
happens next year, once Oyster PAYG is available on all National Rail
within the zones.