Old March 14th 09, 10:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] andypurk@gmail.com is offline

Default Thameslink - Metropolitan Junction

On Mar 14, 10:35*pm, "Richard J." wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:39 pm, MIG wrote:
I find it hard to believe that the timing of the service is all that
precise in practice. *My impression is that they always wait around
anyway, at Aldgate East, Earls Court and just about anywhere.

Underground working times are in half minute blocks and yes, the
timing are that precise for the working timetables. Of course,
individual trains won't all run exactly to the timings, but they
should be close.

I agree with MIG. *My experience is that on the District the timings are
frequently NOT close to the WTT. *It's partly because the Circle Line is
prone to delays that it can't recover from, but the District itself
often gets its trains out of sequence, as you can see any day at Earl's
Court westbound. *In my view LU have done little over the last 30 years
to improve punctuality and frequency of the District. The WTT is a nice
theoretical exercise, but in practice I don't see much effort put into
making it a reality on a minute-by-minute basis.

But the delays vary from day to day. You still need a working plan. I
agree that LUL have done little to vary the timetable, but I don't
know what they can do without reducing the current frequency. It will
be interesting to see if the Tea-Cup service helps, as it will remove
the Circle line delays.