Old March 16th 09, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stuart Stuart is offline

Default A406 New Southgate to Green Lanes

John Rowland wrote:

If they fixed the main junctions, Melville Gardens could be left open for
the people who live there and also as an escape route for rare occasions
when the NCR screws up, without it being the 24/7 rat run it is now.

That is true, the whole thing is a much bigger problem.

I've long thought that the cheapest and least disruptive way to sort the
bottleneck would be to build a flyover (I'm thinking more Chiswick than
Westway) from just after Green Lanes to New Southgate. Put all the
through traffic (or one direction) on that.

It is noticeable that the traffic jam always ends at exactly Melville Gardens
because it acts like an overflow hole in a sink. Blocking Melville will
cause the jam to reach back to the Cambridge, and Pasteur Gardens will then
be the overflow, bothering more people than now.

Often it goe back a lot further than that, weekends for example