Old March 21st 09, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Complusory Bus Stops

On 21 Mar, 10:34, Paul Corfield wrote:

On 21 Mar 2009 09:24:57 GMT, James Farrar
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 05:52:05 -0700 (PDT), MIG
wrote:

But in practice, for years now, you have to signal or ring at every
stop or the bus is likely not to stop.

I agree with this and that's why the consultation proposal to make
this mandatory for every stop makes a great deal of sense.

Absolutely.

I'm intrigued how the OP could fall foul of the practice "again" - surely
after the first time you would learn to always signal?

Actually re-reading what MIG said I agree with the "always ring the
bell" part in order to get the bus to stop. The new policy was supposed
to ensure that if a passenger was at any stop that a bus would pull up
on the assumption they wished to board - no need to stick your arm out.
I'd agree it's safer to do so given the uncertainty as to what policy
applies. *I shall ask a question elsewhere and see if someone else knows
the answer.

I stupidly never responded to the consultation but I absolutely hate
that idea, i.e. that any passing bus would have to stop if there were
passengers at the bus stop, and I hope it never happens.