Old March 21st 09, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Complusory Bus Stops

On Mar 21, 2:36*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:34:01 on
Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Paul Corfield remarked:

Yes and I have seen the exact opposite happy - bell rung twice, in good
time for the stop, and the bus drives straight past and the driver
alleges not hearing the bell.

That's easily solved with a light next to the driver that comes on as
soon as someone rings a bell, saying "STOPPING". All my local buses have
one.

I've often wondered: does that light visible to passengers after you
ding already correspond to something the driver can't ignore (tangent
on safety comes to mind) or is is just to inform other passengers that
someone has already dung?

There is still often a chorus of dings, particularly on bendys,
because of a five-second gap between pressing and the ding. That
could eat up quite a lot of the stopping distance too.