Old March 23rd 09, 06:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Robert[_3_] Robert[_3_] is offline

Default London - Met widened lines query.

On 2009-03-23 05:54:03 +0000, Charles Ellson said:

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 02:01:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On 22 Mar, 04:37, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Peter Lawrence wrote:
Exploring the furthest reaches Barbican station I noticed a third
tunnel mouth at the western end of the platforms, between the TL and
KU tunnels, and what looked like a ground frame, still connected to
point rods disaooearing into the ballast, between the TL tracks. *Were
these related to the former Smithfield goods station? *( I thought
Smithfield goods was south of the TL tracks, as showm at
http://www.londonrailways.net/snowhill.htm.)

The line between Barbican and Moorgate was moved before the Barbican Centre
was built. (I don't know if this is relevant, but I thought I'd mention it.)

Regarding the moving of the lines (both LU and widened?), do you know
where to find further information on this? I had a look round the
Internet previously and found precious little.

It was in the early 1960s IIRC, possibly the same time that Aldersgate
became Barbican so books and magazines published around that time
ought to have some mention.

I can remember this work being done while I was at University in London
during the early 60s. IIRC there was a large open space between
Aldersgate and Moorgate, round the edge of which the railway lines ran.
The space was, I think, being used as a car park (possibly one of the
sites where NCP started) and was almost certainly a bomb site which was
being/had been cleared. The opportunity was taken to remove a curve in
the line which was no longer necessary. There may have been other
reasons as well.
--
Robert