Old March 23rd 09, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Complusory Bus Stops

In message of Fri, 20 Mar 2009
15:14:05 in uk.transport.london, Walter Briscoe
writes
In message of Fri, 20 Mar
2009 13:00:23 in uk.transport.london, Batman55
writes
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:25:20 on Fri, 20 Mar
2009, Barry Salter remarked:
There was a proposal floated that ALL bus stops would be treated as a
hybrid of the two types, based on observation of "normal" practice.
Namely:

1) All buses SHOULD stop at a bus stop if it looks like someone wishes to
board.

[snip]

I've just sent the following email to
with the subject "Bus and
Request stops":

I've just spoken to a helpful lady at TfL Surface Transport on the
difference between Bus Stops and Request Stops.
My understanding from this conversation is:
a) Bus stop flags at Bus Stops consist of a red roundel on a white
background with "Bus Stop" underneath; bus stop flags at Request Stops
consist of a white roundel on a red background with "Request Stop"
underneath.
b) Buses will stop without a signal for pedestrians waiting at Bus
Stops; buses will not stop without a signal for pedestrians waiting at
request stops.
c) A signal is needed from passengers wishing to alight from buses at
both Bus Stops and Request Stops.

This was not covered in the conversation, but I believe: buses will not
pass buses stopped at stops unless the drivers can see no pedestrians
are waiting, the bus is full or for other good reasons I can't think of.
Please confirm this.

I was told that documentation on this is not yet publicly published.
Please do so on the web and inform me of the URL.

In the meantime, please take this as a Freedom of Information Act
request to make such documentation available to me.

You have my mailto; my PSTN number is (020) xxxx xxxx; my snail mail
address is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx, London xxxx xxx.

I forgot to ask a question about buses running early on publicly
timetabled services. About a month ago, I took a U1 - which operates a
15 minute interval service - from West Ruislip to Ruislip. The bus was 2
minutes early and I noted this to the driver who waited half a minute
before continuing. I did not pursue the matter; I rarely go so far.

When I get a response, I will summarise it here. Don't hold your breath.
I believe 20 working days are allowed for a response.
--
Walter Briscoe