Old March 23rd 09, 10:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Light of Aria Light of Aria is offline

Default 377 on Thameslink

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:03:03 -0700 (PDT), MIG
wrote:

There seems to be a very bizarre attitude to locking passengers in
without explanation.

Was on the Eurotunnel car shuttle on Saturday, when half way through
the tunnel we stopped suddenly and half the lights went out. We then
remained stationary for a few minutes and started off again slowly,
but it was only after a few more minutes that there was a mumbled
announcement about technical problems (I'm guessing one of the two
locos had failed) and running at reduced speed.

Given that quite a few people are nervous about travelling in the
Tunnel, especially were all the lights to fail and with the recent
fires, I was rather disappointed about the lack of a more timely
announcement.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

I've been in a tube train (circa around 1985, District line Wimbledon) with
a modest (but potentially life threatening fire) ablaze in the carriage one
up ahead of me.

Let's just say that that 3 minute journey was probably the longest 3 minute
railway journey of my life.

I deliberately chose NOT to pull the alarm until the train reached the next
stop. The matter was quickly resolved at the next stop. It transpires it was
a fault with the motor below the carriage which was calmly isolated by the
driver.

Old trains were quite leaky.

I hate the claustrophobic feeling of the modern stock. You can't open the
windows. You can't open the doors. They are hermetically sealed.

Give me a slam door Mk1 any day! (And about one third of the electric power
required too).