Old March 23rd 09, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] andypurk@gmail.com is offline

Default 377 on Thameslink

On 23 Mar, 15:40, "Q" ..@.. wrote:
"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

I also noticed a 321 in FCC livery at Hornsey this morning.

The first one was finished a couple of weeks ago (321 404 IIRC), the
remainder of the small sub-batch for FCC should be following shortly.

It was sat in the yard the other night on my way out to town tucked away on
a middle road

It still seems a ridiculous solution to me, introducing another fleet for
Hornsey to maintain. Why all of the 321/4s are not being transferred to
NXEA in return for a handful of their 317s returning to FCC, where they
would be (relatively) common with the home fleet, still escapes me!

Indeed - and us over at Liv St. We would love to see the back of the 317's
since they are in a state again thanks to NX. There are a couple of problems
though.

321's have never been passed to work to Enfield Town or Cheshunt via
Southbury AFAIK.

They would have to spend money on any new 321's for the Airport services -
and I don't know that there passed to work the airport anyway.

I'm sure that they are passed for Cheshunt via Southbury, as the
profile and equipment is the same as the Class 322 units built for the
Stansted Express. I'd also be surprised if they couldn't goto Enfield
Town, as 322s would have been surveyed for that route when they ran to
Stansted.

As FCC are only getting 10 class 321 units, I don't see why there
couldn't be a cascade of only 9-10 317s from NXEA, NXEA would still
have plenty of 317s if there are route clearance issues. Splitting the
321 fleet into so many bits seems short-sighted, but as it is DfT
involved, we shouldn't be surprised.