Old March 23rd 09, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 377 on Thameslink

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 06:56:20PM +0000, Tom Anderson wrote:

The most sensible option by far would be beacons by the trackside at
stations, i suppose. These needn't be expensive - RFIDs rather than
eurobalises or something. Sensors on the train, and only open a door if
there's a beacon within a metre of it. Easy and cheap.

I would have thought that the most sensible option would be to trust the
driver - he who we already trust to do a far more complicated job
correctly - to open the right doors at the right time and place.
Perhaps he could be assisted by having signs next to where he stops that
say "open doors on other side" and "open doors on first seven carriages
only". Oh, wait, the first of those already exists!

I apologize if I offended you personally,
I intended to do it professionally.
-- Steve Champeon, on the nanog list