Old March 23rd 09, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] d7666@hotmail.com is offline

Default 377 on Thameslink

remainder of the small sub-batch for FCC should be following shortly.

It still seems a ridiculous solution to me, introducing another fleet for
Hornsey to maintain. Why all of the 321/4s are not being transferred to
NXEA in return for a handful of their 317s returning to FCC, where they
would be (relatively) common with the home fleet, still escapes me!

As FCC are only getting 10 class 321 units, I don't see why there
couldn't be a cascade of only 9-10 317s from NXEA, NXEA would still
have plenty of 317s if there are route clearance issues. Splitting the
321 fleet into so many bits seems short-sighted, but as it is DfT
involved, we shouldn't be surprised.

Its even odder to me in that all 321 are Brush electrics and all 317
GEC - so there is an engineering reason for the 321 - NXEA - 317 -
FCC suggestion as well. Its just more hassle for Hornsey with fitter
training and familiarity, spare parts holdings, etc.

--
Nick