Old March 23rd 09, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default 377 on Thameslink

wrote:

It still seems a ridiculous solution to me, introducing another
fleet for Hornsey to maintain. Why all of the 321/4s are not being
transferred to NXEA in return for a handful of their 317s
returning to FCC, where they would be (relatively) common with the
home fleet, still escapes me!

As FCC are only getting 10 class 321 units, I don't see why there
couldn't be a cascade of only 9-10 317s from NXEA, NXEA would still
have plenty of 317s if there are route clearance issues. Splitting
the 321 fleet into so many bits seems short-sighted, but as it is DfT
involved, we shouldn't be surprised.

Its even odder to me in that all 321 are Brush electrics and all 317
GEC - so there is an engineering reason for the 321 - NXEA - 317 -
FCC suggestion as well. Its just more hassle for Hornsey with fitter
training and familiarity, spare parts holdings, etc.

Which was exactly my original thinking. It seems mad, on so many levels.