Old March 24th 09, 05:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] adrian_auerhudson@yahoo.com is offline

Default In this 1917 book by Aleister Crowley, what was Grand CentralStation in London?

On Mar 24, 8:56*am, Offramp wrote:
In 1917 the British chess player Aleister Crowley published a novel. I
have just started reading it.
Part of the opening chapter (it is all online, by the way) reads:

"Charing Cross Station, moreover, is the only true Metropolitan
terminus. Euston, St. Pancras, and King's Cross merely convey one to
the provinces,... Victoria and Paddington seem to serve the vices of
Brighton and Bournemouth in winter, Maidenhead and Henley in summer.
Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street are mere suburban sewers;
Waterloo is the funereal antechamber to Woking;..."

NOW PAY ATTENTION! 'Cause this is the bit I am talking about!!

"...Great Central is a "notion" imported, name and all, from Broadway,
by an enterprising kind of railway Barnum, named Yerkes; nobody ever
goes there, except to golf at Sandy Lodge. If there are any other
terminals in London, I forget them; clear proof of their
insignificance...."

Did you spot it?!
There used to be a Grand Central station in London. What is it now?

No, it is "Great Central". The Baker Street and Waterloo Railway, a
Yerkes Line, station beneath Marylebone was named "Great Central".
IIRC this was at the request of Sir Sam Fay.