Old March 25th 09, 12:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Oyster PAYG to Slough?

wrote:

Ah but what is an "inner suburban all stations" service? Southern have
all
station services running as far as Horsham (a double complication as
it's on
two routes) and SWT have similar to Guildford, again a station served by
many routes.

Most of the Horsham services are not all stations from London, but fast
(ish) to Croydon for those via Three Bridges or Fast from Sutton -
Horsham for the other route (Peak services are different of course).

Ah - I'm originally from Epsom so focus on that side. In my experience the
fasts and stoppings on the routes running through Epsom frequently get
rearranged depending on the ever changing requirements between Sutton and
Clapham Junction. From the passenger perspective there isn't much that
distinguishes the desinations as such - Horsham is only one more stop away
than West Croydon. Dorking certainly couldn't be simply designated a fast
only service station and beyond that there are only three more stations
before Horsham.

Horsham is a bit further than I had in mind, because of the fast
sections. Guildford is more complex, but there, most of the via Woking
services are not all stations, just the via Leatherhead ones; here
Woking might be the spot. As the OP mentioned, there will always be
boundary problems

Yes again the Epsom perspective is one of predominantly all-station services
on that line. I don't think you can very easily draw any workable line
before Guildford - which was, IIRC, the end point for the old "South Western
Lines" services out of Waterloo in the Network South East era. Making Epsom
or Effingham Junction the stop point would be a rather arbitary selection
IMHO.