Old March 25th 09, 08:30 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
TimB TimB is offline

Default (Times): Britain to have fastest train service in the worldwithin 12 years

On Mar 24, 10:00 pm, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:30:24 on Tue,
24 Mar 2009, Paul Terry remarked:

The was a time when there was a mini rush hour at about 10:30 in the
evening when the theater shows ended. I don't know if that is still
the case.

It is. Between 10pm and 11pm it is often impossible to board a
westbound Piccadilly train at Leicester Square because of the crowds. I
often let several go before finding one that I can just about get
shoe-horned into - even then it's often standing room only until
Hammersmith.

but you won't find that 10pm rush hour penetrating as far as Intercity
services. Most major London termini are deserted from 8pm onwards.

Kings Cross is pretty busy - the 2315 to Cambridge (and Ely/Kings
Lynn) loads well, and the last Leeds train isn't till 2330. St Pancras
probably is asleep by 2000, like the backwaters it serves.......