Old December 17th 03, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Massive Airport expansion announced

"Oliver Keating" wrote in message ...
So, massive expansion planned for Heathrow, Stanstead and Luton:

This seems deeply concerning. If air traffic growth continues at it's
present rate, then in 50 years time air travel will account for 40% of all
CO2 (greenhouse gas) emmissions.

The noise from Heathrow airport alone affects some 1 million people.

There is no "need" to have massive expansion in air travel, most expansion
comes from people going on budget holidays, i.e. things that are not
essential for the general operation of our society.

While many people are quite aware of the environmental impact of road
traffic, air travel has got off scott free, essentially the attitude towards
airport expansion is rather like the attitude to road expansion 50 years
ago.

I think some serious questions need to be asked, specifically whether this
really is necessary, and what the costs and benefits of increased air
travel.

As far as I can see, being able to go on holiday twice a year instead of
once is nice, but the environmental damage is a price that is not worth
paying.

Of course, airlines are big industries, and like any big industries, they
have the money to sway the opinion of the Government of the day.

Well said. Pity no one in government really gives a toss about the enviroment
and they'll be too old to care when the consequences really start to take
effect. Somehoe I don't think our grandchildren will look back on our generation
with much affection.

B2003