Old March 26th 09, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default G20 Summit

On 26 Mar, 12:40, Ian Jelf wrote:

In message , David
Cantrell writes

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:30:04PM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

Not at all surprised by that - the whole area around the Excel centre
is going to be 'locked down' to the max

Yay! *Let's inconvenience tens of thousands of people!

Why they don't hold these bloody things in more remote places where that
wouldn't happen - and where they'd be more secure to boot - I don't
know. *St Kilda would be a good choice.

At the moment I'm inclined to agree with you. * I have two tour jobs
booked that day (Walking tour Bankside & Blackfriars afternoon and South
Bank in the evening.) * One of the clients is keen for this to go ahead,
the other is wavering and looking to *me* for advice.

Frankly, I don't *know* what to tell them. * I risk losing work or I
risk disruption or even harm.

Still don't know what to do. * :-(

Go ahead with them, that's what I say! There'll be protests at Excel
in the Docklands of course, but any disturbances in central London are
going to be right in the midst of the square mile. A Bankside &
Blackfriars walk is far enough away from it all I'd say - are you
starting at Bankside (and Tower Bridge or Borough?), and staying south
until Blackfriars Bridge? I wouldn't however plan to meet at Monument/
Bank or Mansion House. Things in the City are supposed to start at
midday, but I wouldn't be that surprised to find it being a bit of a
damp squib.

South Bank in the evening is definitely ok.

Which client is wavering? I wouldn't worry about actual harm - you're
not planning to be somewhere that may be in the right in the thick of
"it", whatever "it" may turn out to be, after all.