Old March 26th 09, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default (Times): Britain to have fastest train service in the worldwithin 12 years

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, John Rowland wrote:

Sam Wilson wrote:

We'd say "in Mallorca" (actually we'd say "in Majorca" but we'd
pronounce it as if it were a German word!). We'd say "in Ireland"
too. We generally reserve "on" for islands you can see most of at the
same time: on the Isle of Wight, on Arran, on Lindisfarne, on Barra.
We might use "in" for islands that are also states of some kind so you
could use either "in" or "on" for the Isle of Man or Jersey. The
phrase "in the island of Ireland" is common but then so is "on the
island of Ireland".

Size is irrelevant IMO. I find that if it's a country, you say "in",
otherwise you say "on". I would certainly say "on South Island" (NZ),
"on Baffin Island" and "on Hokkaido", even though these islands are way
too big to see the whole thing at the same time.

On Eurasia? That's an island too.

I think to an extent it depends about whether you're talking about the
island as a political or geological unit. You're in a polity, but on a
rock.

tom

--
But for [Flavor Flav's] "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BOYYYYYYYYYY"s alone he should
be given Rap Legend status. -- Nate Patrin, ILX