Old December 17th 03, 12:46 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Clive Page Clive Page is offline

Default Road Classification

In article ,
Barry Salter wrote:

Or the rather odd E32, which runs the 16 miles of A120 from Harwich to
Colchester.

I didn't know that. But once upon a time, the E8 used to run from Harwick
to London via Colchester, and there were signposts erected to show it all
the way. Actually I think the E8 went from Moscow to Hook of Holland, and
maybe westward beyond London, but I only know about the Harwich to London
section. The signs were green with white characters, in many cases just
added to the normal trunk road signs. They were erected shortly after WW
II. Not many years later, I think in the nineteen fifties, some idiot
decided that the UK should not show European road numbers and they were
overpainted with green paint. But many remained until quite recently,
barely legible.

--
Clive Page