Old March 29th 09, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Railist Railist is offline

Default Buses that terminate short: procedure to be adopted

On 29 Mar, 13:02, " wrote:
Last night, a 28 bus that I had boarded in Kensington Church Street,
with the destination "Wandsworth" got turned short at North End Road/
Lillie Road. I asked the driver for a transfer ticket so that I would
not to pay twice on my Oyster Pay-as-you-go when boarding the next
bus. The driver gave me a print-out from his ticket machine. *I was
the only person to ask for this, and then about a dozen other (some of
whom had already got off the bus) went and asked the driver for the
same. The driver refused, stating that he had given me a transfer
ticket "for everyone".

Those passengers then came up to me and asked whether this was so, and
I declined, stating that I was given a ticket for me, and was not
responsible for anyone other than myself. They went back to the driver
who shouted out at me that the ticket he had given me was for
everyone. I disagreed, and replied that this ticket was for me, and
since there was nothing obliging me to stay and have anything to do
with the other passengers, they should each be given a ticket
separately.

The driver persisted, and eventually asked for the ticket back,
stating that he would wait with us, and show the ticket to the next
bus. About 20 minutes later, the next bus arrived, and the original
driver showed the ticket and we were all allowed on without paying/
swiping again.

Now call me pedantic if you want, but why should I, as a passenger, be
taking responsibility for other passengers (some of whom were drunk)
and trying to convince a driver of another bus that people with whom I
have had nothing to do, and a group which by when may have been joined
by all sorts of other hangers-on, trying to hitch a free ride. that
none of us should have to pay?

Are not the rules that the driver/conductor of *a bus turning short
either has to enure (as the driver eventually did) that he has
communicated with the following bus so that the transferring
passengers do not have to pay twice, or give EACH passenger that asks
for it a transfer ticket?

Marc.

Well, two things come to mind. Three even.
1. It was wrong for the driver to assume that you'd be responsible for
the group.
2. Was it really such a big issue since you'd all be at the same stop
anyway?
3. You might have made some nice new friends. I met my wife this way.

I lied about meeting my wife.