Old March 29th 09, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default Buses that terminate short: procedure to be adopted

On Mar 29, 2:42�pm, " wrote:
On 29 Mar, 13:07, Railist wrote:

Well, two things come to mind. Three even.
1. It was wrong for the driver to assume that you'd be responsible for
the group.
2. Was it really such a big issue since you'd all be at the same stop
anyway?
3. You might have made some nice new friends. I met my wife this way.

Also:
4. The first driver's decision to wait 20 minutes in order to
"shepherd" the passengers onto the bus behind probably negated any
purpose to the bus being short turned in the first place.

5. Drivers when confronted by a gaggle of passengers claiming to be
refugees from a short-turner will not waste much time quibbling about
the need for one transfer ticket (let alone one per passenger). If the
odd "waif or stray" manages to blag a free journey on the back of the
legit transferees its just like anyone else travelling without a
ticket who would be liable to prosecution if caught by an inspector at
a later point on the journey.

6. The original poster's sole responsibility, if any, was surely just
to hand the transfer slip to the driver of the next bus in the
expectation that others in the same boat would board the same vehicle
from the same stop at (virtually) the same time.

7. Sounds a bit like a drama was constructed out of a bit of a non-
event?

--
gordon

No drama, I can assure you. I lost nothing whatsoever.

It's just that I like things to be done the CORRECT way. And, if the
driver was just too lazy to print out transfer tickets for every one,
as I suspect he was obliged, then him waiting there for 20 minutes, at
possibly his incovenience (since he could not go up to the Lillie
Bridge turning point for coffee or a smoke) is no skin off my nose. He
got no abuse from me, but several of the other passengers gave him an
earful for making us wait on a freezing cold night for another bus at
all! Although I would never abuse a bus driver, that he was made to
feel uncomfortable by the other passengers, sharing our misery in
waiting on a freezing night, is fine with me.

Marc.