Old March 29th 09, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Eric Eric is offline

Default Buses that terminate short: procedure to be adopted

On 2009-03-29, Paul Terry wrote:

In message
,
" writes

The driver refused, stating that he had given me a transfer
ticket "for everyone".

I can't see how that could possibly work. Even if the ticket showed the
number of passengers (which I doubt), there would be nothing to stop new
arrivals at the bus stop joining the group of people who had been
transferred.

AFAIK, it's not a ticket, it's some sort of status dump of the ticket
machine. So when an inspector sees that you have not touched in on the
bus you are on, he can check some number against one on the "transfer"
that the driver has given him, and see that you are travelling legally.
So it does cover everyone who gets on the same bus you do.

OTOH I have seen drivers issue more than one of these.

Still, there are an awful lot of grey areas in the whole "stopping
short" scenario.

E.