Old March 29th 09, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Buses that terminate short: procedure to be adopted

wrote:

The decision to turn the bus short would not have been a unilateral
one made by the driver. The reaction he got directly or tacitly is a
good example of the sort of reason why fewer and fewer people are
prepared to do bus driving long-term.

Unfortunately buses are terrible at handling these situations. I remember
one occasion when the bus I was on stopped short at my local stop, but this
wasn't announced to the passengers until what we thought was most of the way
through the stopping time. Another bus was at the stop and we (I was still
clambering out at this stage) were told to board that one instead. However
that bus's driver refused to open the doors again and instead just drove
off. And at not point in this was any announcement made as to *why* the bus
was stopping short. When passengers are suddenly ejected, especially on a
route where getting a seat is rare, and not even treated like adults who can
be given a reasonable explanation, it's understandable tempers are short.