Old March 31st 09, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Broad Street station

On Mar 31, 1:55*pm, Abigail Brady wrote:

On Mar 31, 1:07*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

How might the LO & ELL changes have panned out then. Would the ELLX project
still have connected into the Kingsland viaduct and run round to Highbury,
after all it's four tracks wide, or just run up to terminate and interchange
at Dalston.

I'm not even sure there would have been an ELLX project in this case.

My thinking exactly. My reading of the inception of the ELLX scheme
was that that an opportunity was seen to connect an underutilised line
- the ELL - up with the disused trackbed between Broad Street and
Dalston Junction (and beyond), as well as reconnect it with the
mainline at the southern end (i.e. New Cross Gate), along with (re)
connecting it to the South London Line (i.e. phase 2 to Clapham Jn).

Thankfully that opportunity - which could so easily have become
another fantasy project such as those which have been discussed on
here many times before - was grasped and is being realised. I must say
I'm somewhat amazed this actually happened!