Old April 1st 09, 07:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Scott Scott is offline

Default Victoria Line - always DOO?

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:51:49 +0100, "Chris Read"
wrote:

I've just watched the latest Video 125 drivers eye view, of the Victoria
line. Included as a bonus was some archive film covering the construction
and opening of the line. It appears that, from the outset, there were CCTV
screens at platform end, giving operators a view of the platform. However,
no mention was made of the purpose served by this facility.

So, was the Victoria line one person operated from the outset, or did the
screens serve some other purpose, and if so, what?

Whilst not, on the face of it, the most interesting DEV subject, this made
surprisingly good viewing. Notably, the crossover just outside Brixton
station being taken at full line speed by the 'auto pilot', which apparently
leads trainee operators, transferring from other lines, to grab for the
brake in panic!

Chris

I think the first train was driven by HM the Queen, if I recall I am
sure there were plenty of guards on board.