Old April 2nd 09, 07:55 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
[email protected] paul.oter@googlemail.com is offline

Default (Times): Britain to have fastest train service in the worldwithin 12 years

On 2 Apr, 15:30, TimB wrote:
On Apr 2, 12:20 pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
03:41:38 on Thu, 2 Apr 2009, TimB remarked:

As I'm sure you're aware, there are plenty of trains leaving KX after
8pm which are standing-room only.

I'm not aware of that (are we perhaps talking about the last train on a
Friday night)? In any event, one full train - perhaps 8 or even fewer
coaches - doesn't generate enough footfall to make a big station like
that "not deserted".

You must be thinking of a different Kings Cross - the one in Sydney
perhaps?

Do they also have "standing room only" trains leaving after 8pm?

There's a difference between 'not deserted' and 'standing room only'.

There's also a difference between a four-car train that's standing room
only, and a station that would be "virtually deserted" while those
couple of hundred people wandered through the concourse looking for the
right platform.

And no-one has confirmed that this late night "standing room only" train
actually exists.

Sarah said so, and I believe her. I haven't taken the 2315 for a few
months, but it certainly loads well, though not to the point of
standing passengers. On a Friday it's certainly eight cars as far as
Cambridge (and needs to be), I can't remember offhand about Mon-Thurs.
All I personally ever said is.that the London termini aren't deserted
after 20.00. St Pancras, of course, may seem that way because so many
of 'its' passengers are in the tunnels below.
*Tim

The 2315 is eight cars Mon-Thurs (though I think it terminates at
Ely). It's never very busy on those days (mostly tipsy commuters
rather than country folk on nights out in the big city).

Most weekday trains from KX to Cambridge have spare seats from 1915
onwards except the slowish xx52 ones which stop at Stevenage, tend to
be 4-cars, and are often full and standing as far as Stevenage.

PaulO (sent from the 2015, which is 8 cars and half-full in the front
carriage)