Old April 3rd 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Victoria Line - always DOO?

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
Jeremy Double wrote:

I've only flown once on a Fokker 50 about 20 years ago (although I've
flown on F27s slightly more recently), so I can't make comparisons.

Are many F27s still flying? I recall them from the same era as the
Viscounts, all of which appear to be long gone, alas.

I particularly liked the Fokker F27 "Friendship" because of the high
wing which meant great views from every window. If I recall
correctly,
as a child I flew from Speke to Dublin via Ronaldsway on Aer Lingus in
the 1960s. My return flight from Aldergrove to Speke was in a
Cambrian
Airways (BEA) Viscount.

They're a few years newer than the Viscount (production ceased in 1987,
vs 1964 for the Viscount), but I don't think many remain in pax service
(some were converted for use as DC-3 freighter replacements).

My experiences in them weren't great: once was on a flight from JFK to
Ottawa. It was a stormy day, and the F27 couldn't climb over the clouds,
so we lurched and bounced all the way there. I suppose it was safe
enough, but was probably the most uncomfortable flight I've ever had. I
hadn't realised that the JFK-YOW route was so quiet that it couldn't
support a jet.

On another occasion a few years later, I was flying from Nairobi to
Mombassa, via Malindi. I'd over-indulged on the flight from London, and
was therefore very hung-over throughout. Landing at Malindi was rather
lively, thanks to a stiff cross-wind, so I was not in good shape by the
time we finally bumped down in Mombassa (promptly throwing up that day's
anti-marial pill).

The experience wasn't helped by the steady trickle of oil flowing out of
the number 1 Dart engine just to my left (one snag with the high wing is
the ability to closely scrutinise the engine for the whole flight). I
just hoped the oil wouldn't run out before we got there.