Old April 5th 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Unusual Piccadilly movement at Acton Town

In article ,

*Subject:* Unusual Piccadilly movement at Acton Town
*From:* "Recliner"
*Date:* Sun, 5 Apr 2009 00:29:09 +0100

I was on a westbound Piccadilly Line train from the Rayner's lane
branch at about 6:45pm on Friday that stopped for a while at Acton
Town, waiting for a relief driver. So far, nothing unusual, but
then another westbound Piccadilly train pulled into platform 4 (the
westbound District platform). Normally only trains from Ealing
Common do this; I don't know which branch the second train had come
from. It would be surprising if another Rayner's Lane train had
been following our train so closely, but very rare for a train from
the Heathrow direction to be using that section of (test) track.

The second train was the first to leave Acton Town, and I dashed
across when I heard the doors beeping. To my considerable surprise,
we stayed on the District tracks, running non-stop to Hammersmith.
The other train (ie, the one I'd moved from) overtook us along the
way, and was leaving Hammersmith just as we arrived there at the
District platform.

I can't remember any previous occasion when Piccadilly Line trains
ran in parallel on both westbound tracks, with both running
non-stop. As far as I'm aware, the District service was running,
and I think we must have been following a District stopper, which
is why the other Picc train overtook us.

Does this sort of thing happen often, and what could have made it
necessary? Or did someone make a mistake?

Can we all assume you are confusing West and East?

--
Colin Rosenstiel