Old April 5th 09, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default Unusual Piccadilly movement at Acton Town

In message , James
Farrar writes

I often travel east from Northfields at that time of day (well, any time
between 5:30 and 9:30), and it's not at all unusual to end up on the
outside (District) platform). I would estimate it happens to me more
often than once a fortnight.

There's a crossover from the EB fast to the EB local just west of Acton
Town. In 7 years, I think I've only been routed over it about 3 times.
I note that EB 261 and 315 (ex Northfields at 2101 and 2142
respectively) are booked to do this move although I've never seen it so
it may be an Acton turn that does it.

You could, of course have travelled east along the EB local/test track
from Northfields. You can only end up in the EB local platform at Acton
if you do, there is no route to the fast until you're east of Acton
Town. There is also a booked train for this (326 ex Northfields at 0125
sadly out of service) although I remember in the last timetable there
was one around 2115 in passenger service which seems to have disappeared
now.

It *is* unusual to then run down the slow line to Hammersmith - I can't
remember ever being on a train that did that. Are there points between
Hammersmith and Barons Court that put the train back where it should
have been?

Ahem.. Local line if you don't mind; you'll have the District Railway
boys having apoplexy!

There is a crossover east of Hammersmith where a train routed along the
local can regain the fast. Again not common, I think I've done it about
half a dozen times.