Old April 5th 09, 07:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Victoria Line - always DOO?

"Andrew Robert Breen" wrote in message

In article ,
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message

Personally, I'd rather ride in a 1967 stock train than the modern
Jubilee and Northern line trains that came from the same factory. I
certainly wouldn't prefer to ride in a 1967 car compared to almost
any modern car[1].

OTOH, I'd avoid any
pre-Mk.3 train like the plague, and off the IC routes would prefer to
shun anything pre-158. If I'm sitting in something as a passenger,
then ride comfort comes very high up the list, and I want seats that
don't wreck my back (equally vital in a car, of course, but then the
'67 design wins there as well, with better seats than anything else
I've come across[2]. And if I'm a passenger, then wind noise and
suspension vibration matter more as well. Modern stock really do win
out there[1], as well as providing what's generall/y a nicer
passenger environment.

I rode on the nicely refurbished Mk 1 stock (Royal Scot rake) to Swanage
and thoroughly enjoyed the well-sprung armchairs and copious shiny wood.
The plush seats were a lot more comfortable than on a Mk 3 or 4, with
large windows perfectly aligned with the seats. Yes, the ride does get
lively when you get near t0 100mph, and there's no air-conditioning, but
it's a very pleasant experience.