Old April 6th 09, 12:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Woolwich Ferry.

On Apr 5, 10:23*pm, Mizter T wrote:

On Apr 5, 9:44*pm, wrote:

The current boats are now over 45 years old, and must be coming
towards the end of their life. *What is going to happen to the derry,
will new boats be built, will it be replaced by a new bridge or
tunnel, or will it simply be closed?

I think there was some suggestion that when the new Thames Gateway
bridge opened, the Woolwich Ferry service would be withdrawn - so
perhaps in light of this there wasn't any particular long term
planning going on with regards to replacement ferries. However whilst
ex-Mayor Ken was keen on it, Mayor Boris however is not, and he has
decided not to pursue the project (I can't recall his pre-election
position on it, if indeed there was one) and so it's not going to
happen. At least, not any time soon - I can well imagine it
resurfacing in years to come.

Just to clarify my comments - the project Mayor Boris is not keen on
is the Thames Gateway Bridge, which was being pursued by TfL under
Ken's mayoralty but is no longer under the new administration. AFAIK
there is no 'project' as such with regards to replacement boats for
the Woolwich ferry service - obviously at some point they'll need
replacing if the ferry is to continue running into the future, however
I've no idea how long the potential lifespan of the existing boats
actually is. If they're running OK now then I can't see any particular
urgency to replace them.

This TfL webpage would certainly have read somewhat differently a year
ago:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/proj...emes/2203.aspx