Old December 17th 03, 10:12 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
JNugent JNugent is offline

Default New M6 Toll road opens,road for fools ?

wrote:

[someone else had writen:]

Clearly Europeans believe something different, that constructing
motorways is rather like handing dollops of money over to a
select few. This is considered unnacceptable, and hence their
roads are tolled.

Not in Germany, or the UK (until May 1997), the Netherlands, Belgium,
Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden (and even certain stretches in France, Spain and
Italy - in fact, the whole Italian motorway network south of Naples is FOC).

What was that the OP was saying about "Europe"?

In some countries yes, but then their petrol tax is a lot lower to
compensate. However, Germany's motorways are not tolled, and yet they
have the most comprehensive motorway network in Europe. Why can't we?

Exactly. And our fuel carries a lot more tac than Germany's (especially
diesel).

Our motorways weren't tolled from the start as it was believed that
if you have a road, you may as well let as many people use it as they
want, as there is (was) zero marginal cost of extra cars. This isn't
really the case anymore due to congestion.

Rubbish (to the OP).

Our roads (inc. motorways) were not tolled before May 1997 because we
believe(d) in the freedom of the highway.

Congestion which is due to cars becoming more affordable, hence not
only the rich can afford them; and also women breaking free and
getting their own car after decades of being told to stay at home and
do the cooking. Surely these trends are a very good thing.

He won't agree with that - though he will be torn.

The thing is it is about choices. Individuals choose whether or not
to drive, whether or not to use the M6toll or the old M6. With things
like healthcare, there is no choice involved, you either need it or
you don't.

Nonsense. You can choose whether you bother the doctor for a cold or flu -
or not.

No, it's the exact same argument. Either you take the free option (M6
/ NHS) or the pay-extra option (M6 Toll / Private health care).
However, with the amount of taxes we pay, we should not have to
suffer a substandard M6 or NHS, and we shouldn't even have to
consider paying a premium for a decent service.

Well said.