Old April 12th 09, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Woolwich Ferry.

On Apr 12, 12:39*pm, Peter Heather wrote:
Also, when riding on the 180 bus, between Lewisham and Abbey Wood,
I've noticed two enclosed areas of water just to the west of the
ferry, close to where the spare boat is kept when a single boat
service is operating. *

When I last used the ferries frequently there were three boats, and
therefore always at least one parked.

(Called John Burns, Ernest Bevin and James Newman as I recall.)

It's correct that there are three boats, but to say "just to the west
of the ferry, close to where the spare boat is kept when a single boat
service is operating" is also correct! The normal weekday service is
provided by two boats, with the third undergoing maintenance and tied
up next to the workshops EAST of the ferry. When only one boat is
operated, usually on Sundays, the spare operational boat is moored in
the river just WEST of the ferry terminal.

Peter

For some reason I can't remember anything ever being parked to the
east, but it could be either that my memory is no good after twenty
years or that they have changed.