Old April 13th 09, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Is the teacup necessary?

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On Apr 13, 2:56 pm, Abigail Brady wrote:

On Apr 13, 9:02 am, Tom Anderson wrote:

Er, yes. Under the teacup plan, the Circle and H&C will be merged
into a single service - there will no longer *be* H&C or
Circle-as-we-understand-it-now. Or is that not what you meant?

Not true. There will still be trains from Hammersmith that go to
Whitechapel. The trains from Hammersmith that go to Edgware Road via
Aldgate will be in *addition* to those existing trains, thus
increasing the frequency on the Hammersmith branch. I expect they'll
be branded "Circle line", whilst there's no reason to think the
"Hammersmith & City" branding will go away, either...

Indeed (pay attention at the back of the class!).

Here's the March press release about the extension of the Circle line:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/11300.aspx

This is spin of which the Labour Government would be most proud. It calls
it an improved service. From where I sit it's the opposite because it ends
the through services from stations between High St and Paddington to
King's Cross and other destinations beyond Edgware Road.

For many years I have travelled between East Putney and King's Cross much
of the time wanting to limit the number of steps to be climbed. First this
was with my children in a buggy when visiting their grandparents in
Putney, then when taking a bicycle to and from there, now also with
granddaughter in buggy visiting great grandmother.

By changing at High St or Paddington to a Circle train, a same platform
interchange, this meant the only stairs to be negotiated were at East
Putney (since the King's Cross lift was installed). Changing at Edgware
Road far too often involves crossing the footbridge and the requirement
for that is unpredictable. Now it will be mandatory much of the time. :-((

The fundamental problem is that the overlap in the "Circle" loop is far
too short. If the terminating point was Aldgate or Moorgate it might be an
improvement but presumably there isn't the capacity East of Baker St.

--
Colin Rosenstiel