Old December 17th 03, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Massive Airport expansion announced

Cast_Iron wrote:
"MrBitsy" wrote in message
Aidan Stanger wrote:

snip

Another runway would have serious safety implications if there's a
missed approach on the center runway.

Rubbish!

They currently use one for takeoffs and one for landings - how would
the situation be any worse with a third runway?

At present if an a/c taking off need to divert suddenly they simply
turn away from the other runway's flight path.

If you have three working in parallel where doe the middle one go?

The issue is not about a/c "needing to divert suddenly" but needing to go
around for another approach to land. If both the other runways have a/c
taking off at the time, I guess the middle a/c would fly straight ahead
until it was safe to turn under one of the other take-off paths. It makes
the circuit a bit longer, that's all. Presumably the problem has been
solved at Paris CDG and other multi-runway airports.
--
Richard J.