Old April 14th 09, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default Piccadilly Turnham Green

"MIG" wrote in message
On Apr 14, 4:22 pm, MIG wrote:
On Apr 14, 9:02 am, Ian Jelf wrote:

I was on a late night Piccadilly Line train which stopped at Turnham
Green the other, er, night.

I've often wondered, what's the story behind that oddity? How did it
come to be a feature of the timetable? (I can think of no parallel
elsewhere on the system, at least not in even remotely recent years.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

Registered Blue Badge Tourist Guide for London and the Heart of
Englandhttp://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Actually, I think it's very common for the faster or longer distance
trains to make additional stops Sundays and evenings.

Often, it coincides with a lack of local services and/or some stations
closed, leaving only the longer distance trains to call at the
remaining stations.

For example, trains from Liverpool Street to Southend call at Gidea
Park, Harold Wood and Brentwood on Sundays, trains from Charing Cross
to Ramsgate and Margate call at Orpington and Sevenoaks on Sundays etc
etc.

Or keeping it to LU, there used to be slow Amershams on Sundays only,
and still extra stops at Wembley Park on Sundays I think.

Never heard of a slow Amersham train they must of taken a while.