Old December 18th 03, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london
MrBitsy MrBitsy is offline

Default Massive Airport expansion announced

Terry Harper wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Cast_Iron wrote:

At present if an a/c taking off need to divert suddenly they simply
turn away from the other runway's flight path.

If you have three working in parallel where doe the middle one go?

The issue is not about a/c "needing to divert suddenly" but needing
to go around for another approach to land. If both the other
runways have a/c taking off at the time, I guess the middle a/c
would fly straight ahead until it was safe to turn under one of the
other take-off paths. It makes the circuit a bit longer, that's
all. Presumably the problem has been solved at Paris CDG and other
multi-runway airports.

One of the three, at least, will be in use for take-off only. It
ought to be possible for the aircraft on the middle runway approach
to turn towards that other runway and do a circuit in that direction.

However at LHR the proposed third runway is a short one, and so
presumably will be used by smaller aircraft for both landings and
take-off.

Two outside runways have simultaneous take offs - I very much doubt they
will be turning towards one another, therefore the landing on the center can
go straight on!
--
MrBitsy