Old April 16th 09, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Cyclists allowed to run red lights?

In article , (J.
Chisholm) wrote:

What we really really need are 'advance' cycle lights such as used
in other Northern European Countries. Then cyclists could approach
lights in the provided cycle lanes in the sure knowledge that they
wouldn't be trapped by a left turning vehicle as the vehicle lights
turned green for motor vehicles.
Of course they would still be the odd idiot who would cycle up the
inside of a vehicle indicating left AFTER the advance cycle lights
have turned green, but in the vast majority of case cyclists would
be safer, and it would even be possible for alert cyclists to use
an approach lane on the left to correctly position themselves for a
right turn at most junctions.

This was part of the trial advanced cycle stop box in Devonshire Road,
Cambridge (a site you are no doubt as familiar with as I), surely? The
second set of signal heads were not implemented in later cycle advanced
stop box schemes.

--
Colin Rosenstiel