Old April 16th 09, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Campbell Smith[_3_] Peter Campbell Smith[_3_] is offline

Default Now I can't top my Oyster card

redcat wrote in
:

I can't top it with a cc here, because for some odd reason when I
bought it last year (here, as offered by LT/Visit Britain) it required
a UK postal code. So, I put one in and the top up worked fine.

Now they want the exact address my cc is associated with. OK. But I
cannot enter a US zip code into that field. It requires a UK one and
rejects anything else.

Does it really check? I have solved the opposite problem, where in the
US some devices - especially gas/petrol stations - require a US zipcode.
I have found that entering 11111 works, even though my card is billed
to a UK address with a UK postcode (but they reject 00000).

So you might try entering any old UK address, eg 55 Broadway, London
SW1H 0BD or 4 Wentworth St, Portree, IV51 9EJ.

You can certainly top an Oyster up at most, maybe all, Underground
stations using a credit card, but I'm not certain that it will accept a
US card, which won't have an embedded chip like ours have. But the
machines were in use before we had chips and during the transitional
period when some had and some hadn't, so they may well still accept a
card with just a magstripe.

Peter

--
Peter Campbell Smith ~ London ~ pjcs00 (a) gmail.com